Dental Implants vs Dentures: Making the Right Decision
Over 213 million people in the U.S. are missing one or more teeth. If you happen to be one of these people, you may be searching for options. Today, we will explore two options that make great alternatives to natural teeth: dental implants and dentures.
- What Are They: Dental implants are anchored posts in the jawbone that act as roots, typically made from titanium. Attached to these new roots are removable or fixed replacement teeth.
- Advantages: Since these are replacement roots, patients preserve their gums and the new teeth appear natural. Along with this, implants can last a lifetime if cared for properly. Finally, and most importantly, implants provide a natural alternative to missing teeth. Therefore, they feel comfortable and are cared for with traditional techniques such as brushing and flossing.
- Disadvantages: Unfortunately, this amount of intrusive work tends to come at a large cost. Replacing one tooth with implants can amount to the same cost as replacing a whole set with dentures. Along with this, dental insurance companies may deem this work cosmetic and not provide patients with any coverage.
- What Are They: Dentures are replacement teeth that are removable. Unlike implants, there is no invasive surgery to be done.
- Advantages: As opposed to implants, a full set of dentures is relatively cheap and the cost is almost always covered by insurance. On top of this, not everyone can qualify for implants but nearly everyone will be suited for dentures.
- Disadvantages: Dentures do need to be replaced every few years, as over time they will wear out and will not fit as well. For this reason, they are not always a permanent solution.
All in all, making the right decision on dental implants vs dentures can be daunting. Each situation provides a slightly different set of options and we hope that this post helped shed some light which is the right option for you!
Come see us today to discuss which tooth replacement option will work best for you. Call now or schedule your appointment online!