What Is the Cause of My Sensitive Teeth?
Have you noticed that your teeth seem to feel extra sensitive when it comes to hot and cold foods and drinks and when you brush your teeth? You may be suffering from tooth sensitivity. The cause of sensitivity can vary on a case-by-case basis. Keep reading to learn more about the most common causes of tooth sensitivity and how to minimize it!
Causes of Tooth Sensitivity
Wondering what may be causing your tooth sensitivity? Some of the most common causes are:
- Enamel Erosion: Acidic foods and drinks can eat away at enamel and cause sensitivity.
- Improper Brushing Technique: You don’t need to use excessive pressure when brushing teeth. Brushing too roughly can damage your teeth and increase sensitivity.
- Nighttime Teeth Grinding: If you grind your teeth at night, they can wear down and fracture over time exposing the pulp and nerves.
- Gum Disease: Without a proper oral hygiene routine, gum disease can create sensitive pockets between the teeth and gums.
- Using the Wrong Dental Hygiene Tools: A hard-bristled toothbrush increases your risk of developing tooth sensitivity. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush that will be gentle on your tooth enamel and gums.
Tooth Sensitivity Treatments
Dentists have a number of recommendations for treating tooth sensitivity, including:
- Desensitizing Toothpaste: If you’re struggling with sensitive teeth, there are many toothpastes available that cater towards minimizing tooth sensitivity. Your dentist will recommend which product is best for you.
- Fluoride Treatments: Concentrated fluoride treatments help remineralize and strengthen tooth enamel which can, in turn, minimize tooth sensitivity caused by enamel erosion.
- Gum Recontouring: If your sensitivity is caused by tooth root exposure, gum recontouring can help your gums reattach to the teeth and cover the roots.
- Root Canals: Prolonged tooth sensitivity may be caused by damaged pulp inside the tooth. A root canal is the best way to relieve tooth pain and preserve the natural tooth.
Schedule a Tooth Sensitivity Consultation
Suffering from tooth sensitivity? You shouldn’t have to! At Dental Solutions of Avon/Indy, we’ll help you get down to the bottom of your tooth sensitivity and create a custom treatment plan that best suits your needs. Please contact us to schedule your consultation!Contact Us