Top 6 Questions to Ask When Choosing Dental Insurance
1) What is the monthly premium? The amount that comes out of your pocket each month is a big consideration! Think about what you can afford first before starting your dental insurance search.
2) What does dental insurance cover? Most dental policies will cover things like check-ups, cleanings, fillings, root canals, x-rays and other standard care. What are not generally covered are cosmetic dentistry treatments such as whitening, implants, and braces. Some higher premium plans will cover advanced work, so consider your dental goals against these higher monthly costs. Often, paying out-of-pocket for these services can even be cheaper.
3) What are the deductibles? As is typically for most insurance, you can expect to meet a required deductible before your insurance will begin to cover your care. Deductibles will vary state to state and policy to policy but can be anywhere from $25 to in the hundreds for ‘bargain’ coverage. Be wary of large deductible plans, as often times you may be better off paying out-of-pocket.
4) Is there a waiting period? If you are worried about a looming dental problem, sign up sooner than later for coverage. Dental insurance policies have restrictions and waiting periods (from 90 days to 18 months!) before you can get any major treatment.
5) Do I have to use a specific dentist? If you already have a dentist or a specific dentist in mind like Dental Solutions of Avon, make sure that your plan would allow you to continue seeing him/her. Otherwise, you will often have to choose an ‘in-network’ dentist.
6) What is LEAT and how does it affect me? “Least expensive alternative treatment”, or LEAT, is a clause that allows dental insurance providers to refuse payment for certain treatments when there are less expensive alternatives available. If the policy you choose has an LEAT clause, be careful to work with your dentist and your insurance provider before you start your treatment plan.
Still need more guidance about how to pick dental insurance? The ADA (American Dental Association) has a great list of things to consider when making a dental insurance decision. If you would like to learn more about financing your dental needs, contact Dental Solutions of Avon today!